Sunday, July 18, 2010

haybales



Yesterday I spent the morning under a tent at the Culpeper Farmer's Market. Besides vendors selling produce and frozen beef, this particular market also allows cake bakers and artists to show their work. As a member of Windmore Foundation for the Arts, I volunteer to hang out and display paintings. I was dubious at first -- people are coming to buy lettuce, not art, I thought, but I learned that you just never know...

Sold two paintings (small) and had lots of good conversations with people who stopped by to comment and chat. Several paintings prompted these talks, one of which is Hay Bales. Hey, this is Culpeper, home to flatter land than most in this Shenandoah region and thus full of miles of hayfields and rolled bales. Folk who live here either own these fields and harvest the hay or they have moved here to enjoy the sight of green/golden grass.

This painting is actually of a field in Michigan! It is one of my first landscapes, painted three years ago.

No comments: