Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the coming storm



Back to brushes and medium (Liquin) in this painting. The underpainting was a tone of alizarin crimson mixed with leftover paints, then I brushed in the sky using 3 blues and titanium white. I fiddled around with the cloud, realizing after I put in the foreground that I had a rainstorm on the horizon. I looked at a photo of a sky with clouds to start, but the painting is totally different from my beginning. I finessed the clouds with a fan brush, and laid on thick white with the palette knife. My idea is a rainstorm coming, off at the far horizon. The white fluffy clouds and sunshine are still around, but the storm is moving in. I left the dark blue threatening sky up in the left top corner. Rainstorms come and go, but is there a bigger storm threatening?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Shelby's mom!

This painting is real nice, I wanted to jump in and swim around in the sky, but then I remembered gravity also lightening from the storm. Your painting has a nice gravity to it.

-Shelby's little friend